Lock and Dam Operator - Virtual Career Fair
Company: Department of Defense
Posted on: June 7, 2021
This is a public notice flyer to notify interested applicants of
anticipated vacancies. Applications will NOT be accepted through
this flyer. Interested applicants should review the "How to Apply"
section of this flyer for more information on how to be considered.
This flyer will be used as positions become available. There may or
may not be actual vacancies filled from this flyer.
Email resumes, transcripts & any other application documents to:
Learn more about this agency
- Perform continuing and/or special operational or functional
checks on machinery to avoid untimely or dangerous equipment
breakdown, and identify when possible, development of unsafe
- Install, repair, and maintain lock and dam machinery, and
equipment of mechanical or electrical type.
- Perform carpentry or plumbing required for minor construction
or repair and maintenance; concrete work, welding, painting,
- Perform seasonal duties such as grass cutting, trimming,
gardening; snow shoveling, clearing ice, etc.
- Operate smaller crane/bulkhead hoist/etc. for placing
- Operate equipment such as but not limited to: pick-up truck,
dump truck, forklift, front-end loader, bulldozer, tractor,
motorboat, and pontoon boat.
- Operate electrical, electronic, and/or hydraulic gate controls
to open and/or close gates at one end of lock chamber.
- Issue instructions to tow boat captains and other craft
operators, setting of precedence of entry, and through maintaining
proper procedural operation.
- Operate electrical or electronic controls to raise or lower dam
gates in accordance with specific instructions.
5426 Lock And Dam Operating
- Lock And Dam Operators
- Lock Operators
- Operators, Lock
Operators, Lock And Dam
Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness
determination, as determined by a completed background
- Physical examination prior to appointment.
- Submit to and pass a urinalysis drug test prior to appointment
and randomly thereafter.
- Appointment to this position is subject to a two year
probationary period unless the appointee has previously met the
requirements as described in 5 CFR Part 315
- Mission essential. The incumbent is required to report to work
or remain at work as scheduled to support mission operations In the
event of severe weather conditions or other such emergency type
- Possess or obtain and maintain a valid state issued driver's
- This position may require lifting and carrying items in excess
of 50 pounds.
- Required to obtain an American Red Cross Standard First Aid
card, CPR, and/or AED within 2 years.
- Required to wear a prescribed personal protective equipment
- Required to work shift schedules.
- Required to observe established safe working procedures.
- Requires Lock and Dam certification through the Inland Marine
Transportation System (IMTS) training program within 1 year.
Positions will be filled under the Department of Defense Direct
Hire Authority for Certain Competitive Service Positions, 5 USC
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements
described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience,
including volunteer work done through National Service programs
(e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g.,
professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community;
student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying
experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must
clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on
education, your transcripts will be required as part of your
application. Additional information about transcripts is in this
There is no specific length of training or experience required.
However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown
in your written application materials that you possess the
sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform
the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to do the
work of a Lock and Dam Operator without more than normal
Performing operations, maintenance, and repair activities that
requires construction and/or mechanical skills acquired from
working on navigation locks, facilities, grounds, and/or equipment.
Utilize a variety of hand and power tools, sketches and diagrams,
and follow oral instructions in performing repair and maintenance
work of lock and dam machinery and equipment. Operating
electrically, electronically, and/or hydraulically controlled lock
and dam gates and/or other associated equipment required for
passage of traffic through the lock structure. - Failure to meet
this Screen Out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency
in the following areas:
- Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal
Supervision (Screen-out Element)
- Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc.
(includes blueprint reading)
- Dexterity and Safety
- Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair,
- Operation of Equipment and Machinery
- Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic)
Physical Effort: Eye and hand coordination for operating various
controls and handling lines while observing traffic and personnel,
during crane lifting operations, lifting dam gates, etc. There is
standing, stooping, bending, occasional lifting in excess of 50
pounds, stretching, working in cramped positions and spaces,
handling or maneuvering bulky items or equipment, and general
continuous moderate to arduous physical effort required.
Working Conditions: Preponderance of work is performed outside
subject to extremes of temperature and weather. There is exposure
to injuries associated with working in restricted areas,
occasionally cramped and/or uncomfortably hot or cold areas, from
falling objects, from working with electrical power tools and
wiring or other equipment, from working with normal manual tools
and from falls while working on lock walls, dam service bridge,
etc. While possibility of drowning exists as result of falls while
working around water, hazard is practically eliminated through
observance of safety procedures and use of safety equipment. During
maintenance operations is occasionally exposed to unpleasant fumes,
Work Schedules: This position is located at an IMTS facility.
Days of operation and typical daily schedules will vary based on
site specific work requirements. Typical schedules may consist of
1, 2, or 3 specific shift schedules. Operators may be required to
alternate working hours on all shifts and on weekends, as well as
weekdays. Sites with limited commercial use may operate on reduced
work schedules. In all cases, work schedules and hours of operation
are locally determined based on work requirements.
Keywords: Department of Defense, Troy , Lock and Dam Operator - Virtual Career Fair, Other , Troy, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!