Special Education Teacher
Company: Uncommon Schools
Posted on: May 29, 2019
Company DescriptionUncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53
outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York,
New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage
outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement
gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in
college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day,
with a college graduation rate that is well above the national
average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni
achieving their dreams.Job DescriptionThe Special Education Teacher
is passionate about supporting the students who are at-risk for
academic underperformance due to emotional and/or physical
challenges so that they can succeed in the school's rigorous
academic program. The Special Education Teacher holds primary
responsibility for providing academic, emotional, and physical
services for students who require additional support to thrive
within the school's core academic program. SPECIFIC
- Demonstrate a relentless drive to improve the minds, characters
& lives of students both in and out of school.
- Show unwavering commitment to urban youth achieving
- Create a positive, structured learning environment to ensure
that students observe the school's core values, high expectations,
and strict code of conduct.
- Implement curricula and activities to meet academic
- Design and implement assessments that measure progress towards
- Use assessment data to refine curriculum and inform
- Participate in the collaborative curriculum development
- Provide consistent rewards and/or consequences for student
behavior to ensure that students observe the school's core values,
high expectations, and strict code of conduct.
- Be accountable for students' mastery of academic
- Share responsibility for grade-level and school-wide
- Exhibit resilience to persevere and turn challenges into
- Focus constantly on student learning, thinking critically and
strategically to respond to student learning needs.
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and
- Engage families in their children's education.
- Commit to continual professional growth, participating actively
in department meetings, faculty meetings, and other meetings.
- Participate in an annual three-week staff orientation and
- Mentor and engage another Teacher in instructional practice and
- Include a Teacher in daily classroom activities to help
students meet academic standards.Qualifications
- Drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of
- Proven track-record of high achievement in the classroom.
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for academic subjects.
- Evidence of self-motivation and willingness to be a team
- Bachelor's degree is required; Master's degree is
- Minimum of two years teaching experience in an urban public
school or charter school setting.
- Valid State Certification is helpful but not required.
- Belief in and alignment with Uncommon's core beliefs and
educational philosophy is non-negotiable. Additional
InformationUncommon Schools offers competitive salaries
commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package.
Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff
members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all
necessary supplies.Uncommon believes in the importance of being a
diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our
students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a
talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences
of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive
community through creating a space for important dialogue about
issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal
opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race,
religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual
orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.by
Keywords: Uncommon Schools, Troy , Special Education Teacher, Education / Teaching , Troy, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!